Tuesday, October 1, 2013

It's A Jungle in Here!

Literally...It's a jungle in here! Everyday.  It's first grade...What can I say?
I saw my best friend this past week and she was sure to remind me that I haven't posted on this little blog in a very long time. "When are you posting about your classroom, Sara?" "Um...retirement?!?" She might have been amused by my response but she didn't let me off the hook.
So, instead of working on the Masters homework that I should be doing right now, I will post my classroom pictures! Sounds good to me.

Last year my theme was "First Grade is a Hoot," and while I loved the owls that I used and the owl gifts that everyone sent me, I was ready for something new. In the spring, I knew that I would be heading for a jungle theme.

I'm not the type of person that just throws it all together during teacher in-service. I'm much too frugal to pay full price for things, so I look for deals on cute things all summer long.

Take a look at my classroom this year:
Zebra & polka dot borders: Teacher Created Resources
Monkeys & bananas: Trend Enterprises

Treat bags and jungle treats: Oriental Trading
Animal masks: Michael's
Chevron labels: Schoolgirl Style
Name tags: Teacher Created Resources

Plant: IKEA
Frame & Animals: Hobby Lobby

Behavior system

Welcome banner: Trend Enterprises

Ready for kiddos!

Picture: Hobby Lobby (My mom's find!)

Read, read, read!

Good work display
Cute scrapbook paper is a cheap way to incorporate your theme!

My desk

Jobs and lunch count

Get it? Jungle Books.... ;)

Table runner: Hobby Lobby

Pillow covers: Hobby Lobby


Jungle storage containers & picture: Hobby Lobby (90% off clearance in the spring)

Calendar: Teacher Created Resources
My educator mother was in my classroom while I wrote the date on the board! I've never felt so self-conscious about my penmanship! 

Great book!

You can't have a jungle-themed classroom without a little Curious George!

I firmly believe that a classroom should be welcoming and homey.  Not only do my students have to spend most of their waking hours there during the day, I do too! It's all in the little details. Decide on a theme early and look for bargains everywhere you go. Oh, and tell everyone your theme because they will find cute things and tell you where to shop! This year I found the best deals at Hobby Lobby! I was able to get so much on clearance! Goodwill and The School Box always have things that I NEED (because we all need more stuff, right?)  for my custom classroom!

What's your theme this year? Where do you find the best deals for your room?

Sara

2 comments:

  1. Your amazing, I love all the little details you put into this room! :D Who doesn't love monkeys and cute animal print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeni! I love the animal print and burlap right now!!

      Delete